Wednesday, July 9, 2008

True Freedom

As we all know, the first right in the bill of rights is the freedom of religion. As we just passed our Independence Day, it's good to reflect on our freedoms and rights. I must admit though I have of lately looked at freedom in a different way, not defining it as free to do whatever, rather defining it as free to do the right thing. I think that's what true freedom should mean and reflect.

My pastor gave a great sermon this past Sunday on freedom and I'm going to use the verse and a little material that he did as well as some of my own thoughts and opinions. John 8:31-36 "So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." They answered Him, "we are Abraham's descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that you say, you will become free?" Jesus answered them "truly truly I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed."

Now that's where real freedom comes from, the Son. The truth here is not only the facts surrounding Jesus as the Messiah and Son of God, but also the teaching he brought. No matter what man can promise or do, nothing sets you free like the Son. For the Son is the source of true freedom, because he is the only one who can free you from the slavery of sin.

Galatians 5:1 "It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yolk of slavery." Christ set us free for freedom's sake that we may not be yolked to slavery again. The truest freedom we can obtain is through Christ, which is the deliverance from the curse that the law pronounces on the sinner who has been striving unsuccessfully to achieve his own righteousness but who has now embraced Christ and the salvation granted by Him through grace.

The John verse shows that Christ frees us from sin. The Galatians verse shows us that Christ frees us from the old law. Though we have the privilege of being born in the freest land of all, the only way to be truly free is not through our government, but through our Savior.

Romans 8:1,2 "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death." Christ even frees us from the life of sin and death. Now don't get me wrong, you will still die a physical death, but with Christ you will still live even though the flesh dies. That's true freedom. Christ came to overcome death so that we might have eternal life through Him.

Romans 8: 31,32 "What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us? He who did not spare His own Son, but delivered Him over for us all, how will He not also with Him freely give us all things? Who will bring a charge against God's elect? God is the one who justifies;" With God for us we cannot fail. I hope we all recognize what true and real freedom is and through Him of who it's obtained. Let us rejoice that we live in one of the greatest countries in the world and let us strive through our freedoms of the land to show the world God's kindness and love.

I wanted to post this closer to July 4th, but that did not work out. I really wanted to yesterday, but lightning had other plans with our modem. My prayer for all is that we reach out to all who need the freedom only the Son can give. Let us proclaim His message and His love for the glory of the Father always.

With prayers and love always.
C.

9 comments:

Kokopelli said...

I really do enjoy your posts, Chros. Thank you.

Cher said...

Big Bravo again, Chros. I was wondering if you were going to go down "Romans Road" and you did!

Kristy said...

This comment's about the divorce thing, but I wasn't sure if you'd see it way down there. Cheating, being with an unbeliever and death are the only reasons acceptable according to your post. But what about women being abused? And we're human and make mistakes...what if someone marries the wrong person? People can change and it's not always for the better. Should someone really stay with someone they don't love even if it makes them miserable? I was thinking about all of the people I know who ended their marriages and I don't see them having to accept all of the blame. I think sometimes it's just not meant to be. Thoughts?

Cher said...

I know there are many types of abuse. Physical, emotional, psychological, etc. Some you can see and some you cannot but that doesn't mean one hurts less than another.

Kokopelli said...

I think the problem, K, is not so much a divorce, but any remarriage. That's the greater sin. I suppose I should go look up Matthew....19-something if memory serves. I bet you know a guy who can find it faster than I.

Kristy said...

I think you're right. It seems I remember reading about that. I still can't seem to grasp the sense in all of this though. Of course marriage is important, but we're only human and make mistakes. Stay in a miserable marriage? Divorce, but remain alone forever? The rest of the right and wrongs in the Bible make sense to me, but this one just doesn't. Some people don't put enough effort into their marriages, but some are just a train wreck.

Kokopelli said...

I've tried twice, K, to respond to you, but neither response felt right; the Holy Spirit isn't with me yet on this. But, I'm pretty sure our God's undieing love for us, his rules for us, and his gift of our free will are all involved.

Tell me everyone, is it better to respond to comments by email instead of here? Tim mentioned once months ago about "...when did this become a forum", and I was wondering about that.

chros said...

We are talking to of biblical divorce and remarriage, which is much different then political divorce and remarriage. We all know that the law of the land and man are much different than the law of God. So someone marries the wrong person. Ok. If both these people come to Christ and are believers, we gotta give some credit to God and His ultimate plan and will. Is it the wrong person or the exact right person for you, yet you do not see just yet. God is Sovereign and will call His child and bless His children, will we listen or refuse to see? So a husband is beating his wife physically or a wife in another case is emotionally abusing her husband, in both cases we are to assume these are not Christians in there choices and by what they do. If the abused parties in these cases are not leaving we can assume as well they are not Christians. These are unions not united by God, but by man and are to be separated by man as well. They are living in the flesh and a divorce in their cases will not please God but nothing else in their lives is either by the choice of not having Christ as the center of it. Christ is the bridge to God and our only way of ever doing anything that pleases Him. I do believe if the abused hears Gods call then they will fall under biblical criteria for a biblical divorce if the other party chooses to stay unredeemed in the flesh. Am I making any sense hear, seriously, Cause its late and I'm trying to put my thoughts down here and its not coming out like I want it too. Let me know if i clarified anything.
C.

Kristy said...

I'm trying to process all of this...I'm going to think it over.
Kokopelli, I like having discussions here. Keeps things interesting and I like to hear other's input. JMO