Saturday, September 20, 2008

Compassion To All: Part One

We had some real good storms a couple weeks back with a lot of rain. As I was walking into work I noticed that this soaking we needed had really brought out the frogs (toads). So I mentioned this to a fellow employee sitting at one of the picnic tables outside. And he tells me, "ya they are really out, but it's a shame because some idiot will start stomping on them on his way in".

What satisfaction does a person get from something I see as so terrible? Why would you kill something (whether a frog, dog, cat, mouse, whatever) for fun? I really don't get people at times. I think we should do all we can to protect God's creation since we were entrusted with dominion over them. (Genesis 1:28-31) I think so many people misunderstand that statement. We do have, granted by God, dominion over the birds and creatures of the earth. Should we not use that dominion in a compassionate and merciful way like our Heavenly Father who has dominion over us does? An old quote I found interesting goes like this; "A truly religious man does not ask how far this or that deserves sympathy...,to him, life as such is sacred."

There are many verses in the Bible that deal with God's relationship with us and animals. As well as our relationship with animals. Look at the great flood in Noah's day. God saved Noah's family and two of every kind of animal (seven of each of the clean animals) in Genesis 7:1-3. And after the flood we see that God made a covenant with Noah, his family and all animals and earth that he will never destroy earth again with a flood. Genesis 9:8-10 "Then God spoke to Noah and to his sons with him, saying; and as for me, behold, I establish my covenant with you and your descendants after you, and with every living creature that is with you; the birds, the cattle, and every beast of the earth with you of all that go out of the ark, every beast of the earth." I find it interesting that God mentions the animals too. They are his creation after all, for we cannot breathe life into things, only God can.

Ecclesiastes 3:19-20 "For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity. All go to one place: all are from the dust and all return to the dust." This verse tells us that in the end, whether beast or man, we all die. For all come from dust and all will return to dust. We are guaranteed eternal life through Jesus Christ, animals are not mentioned in that salvation. So to all the people who ask if they're dog or cat went to "doggy or kitty heaven", I must admit that the Bible does not teach this. However I can say in the beginning in the garden of Eden there were animals. And many prophecies for the future kingdom of God show animals present and in harmony with one another. Isaiah 11:6-9 "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. The cow and the bear shall graze; there young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. The nursing child shall play by the cobras hole, and the weaned child shall put his hand in the vipers den. They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain, for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea."

Hosea 2:18 "In that day I will make a covenant for them with the beasts of the field, with the birds of the air, and with the creepy things of the ground. Bow and sword of battle I will shatter from the earth, to make them lie down safely."

Both these scriptures we just read speak of the coming kingdom of Christ where all will live in harmony as was in the garden of Eden. I love the verse where the lion will eat straw like an ox. I will do my next blog on the New Testament and Jesus' teachings on compassion and love to all including his Father's creation. I hope I didn't lose any of you in this cause it got longer than I'd hoped. But so many people are just mean to animals and I don't get it! They have the breath of life in them just as you and I do. I don't get how a Christian can ask for mercy from God who is above when he shows no mercy to what is below him. The scriptures make clear that God expects humans to be caretakers of his creation.

My prayer for all is that we see the value and the beauty of God in his creation of us, his animals and nature. That we treat all people and animals with love, mercy and compassion as God so wonderfully does for us. With love and prayers always.
C.

3 comments:

Cher said...

Another wonderful message, C. Keep 'em coming!

Cher said...

I remember one time when I was little. We were playing with some little bug or other...I can't remember what it was. My Dad stopped and asked us what we were doing. I don't know what our answer was, but I remember him telling us, "Never hurt anything that is smaller and weaker than you are" or something like that. I remember because for some reason he got real serious about it. Heaven only knows what we were doing. But, as with all my Dad's lessons, it stuck. Sounds silly now, but it made it's mark.

Kokopelli said...

Thanks, C! As usual you've provided a bit of wisdom that I've overlooked before.