Thursday, May 1, 2008

What about a little weed?

So we know in Genesis(first book of the Bible) that God said He gives us every seed bearing plant and herb to use. Ive heard and have used that argument myself to say that smoking weed isn't that bad and should be something we should be allowed to do recreationally. The old band (Cypress Hill) I used to listen to in high school even quotes that scripture. " Also that God doesn't mind it considering He gave us every herb to use. I used to also say how the Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper, that hemp is one of the strongest fibers known(way more stronger than cotton)and that one acre of hemp produces way more paper than one acre of trees and takes way less time to mature then those trees. So yes we should use hemp, I agree with that completely, but I think smoking it to alter our mind and make us feel loopy is not the reason God put it here. All things have their purpose and if you use any of them by putting their smoke into your body, you're probably not using them responsibly. I believe the verse actually is Genesis 1:29 " Then God said, I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has seed in it. They will be yours for food."

So Hemp(or the marijuana plant) has many uses that it can be used for to benefit mankind, yet in our depravity we would rather use it to get "high". Another reason that smoking weed is bad is that it is the "gateway drug". Deny it all you want, but all the hard drugs I was ever exposed to were through my "hook-ups" who happened to have this or that to buy too. So you figure, why not, a little won't kill me, but all it can take of some drugs is just a little to drive you to get a little more and after that a little more and on and on and on. Next thing you know you're broke and have a serious problem with drugs. You end up being that guy who said "it would never happen to me". It's a dirty game and ever dirtier cycle, and weed is a gateway to it all in many instances.

Many people say that alcohol is legal, and it alters your mind a lot more then weed. That's true if you smoke weed daily, the buzz is not so intense that you can't drive like with alcohol. Let us not forget though that you are still not as sharp as when sober and that your reaction time will be much slower then when sober. To the issue of making it legal because alcohol is legal, well I think that's looking at it the wrong way. Why not make alcohol illegal with it. Oh yeah I said it, start throwing things and logging off now. If these things are legal, people have access to them and will use them, if they are illegal there will be a black market for them and people will still use them. Black market equals a risk equals big money and many people love money and will take the risk, we all know that. From the words of our Lord; Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

The last reason to stay away from marijuana (or drugs in general) is that people put their problems and bad days in the wrong hands. I've heard many people say they're not hurting anyone coming home after a rough day and smoking a joint. Well maybe not, but you're giving your troubles to weed rather than God. You want to feel better and truly lifted up, call upon the Son and not some crappy little weed that makes you tired and hungry. God created weed, worship the Creator rather then the created. Right? I hope you all enjoyed this topic, I get tired of hearing people talk about smoking marijuana as no big deal when in reality and in God's eyes it is. Truth be told, A sin is a sin is a sin in God's eyes. Plain and simple.

I didn't use much scripture in here so let me end with one of my favorite verses;
Matthew 628-29 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow? They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these"

I pray that all of us can have the eyes like God to look at sin as it really is and not brush it off as no big deal. May we everyday grow in that discerning divine nature that He plants in His children through His Spirit. I pray for safety and health for all of you. With love and prayers always.
C.

6 comments:

Mandy said...

How do you feel about "medical" marijuana? Do you think maybe that is the purpose for which God put it here? I smoked a lot in highschool but never since. I just don't get the point now. I have better things to get me "high" like my kids or projects around the house!

chros said...

True that Mandy. God n family are the true highs in our lives. Medical marijuana I did not address. If truly needed it may be the cure or relief God may send some. So yeah, why not. I believe it to be more useful for the fibers and paper, but if it is medicinally beneficial, awesome, if it's not abused like so many others.(such as oxycotin, vicodin, darvoset, etc...) With love and prayers.
C.

**Heidi** said...

When my grandma was in her last months she used medicinal marijuana (prescribed by her hospice nurse) so I think if it is used to relieve someones pain in that instance it should be legal to use. As far as alcohol goes I do still drink a beer here and there and I probably always will. Do I drink to get drunk, not anymore. I think a cold beer just plain tastes good after a hard days work. Much like I think a coca cola helps me to get through the day. It isn't an addiction (although the family I come from alcohol could easily become an addiction if I chose to let it)...it is just a means of relaxing on the back porch or chilling on the couch. I guess being raised catholic I am doing much better than most, lol.

chros said...

I am not so much opposed to medical marijuana, what I am opposed to is anything you have to smoke to get the effects from. They make a pill, I believe called marinol, which is THC (the active ingredient in marijuana). I have no problem with it in pill form prescribed by a doctor for a legitimate medical reason. With locve and prayers always.
C.

Timothy said...

I like plant

Anonymous said...

okay i am still not clear god but weed on the planet for a medical use but does he want you to get high off of it just for fun or what i mean if its illegal than you are braking a commandment plus a law at that.