Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Drugs and Addictions in General

Can an alcoholic be a Christian? Or how about a "pothead" who smokes a little weed here and there? I even dare ask, what about a person who smokes cigarettes? There are some denominations that say no, a person who is addicted to drugs cannot truly be a saved Christian, even if it's legal tobacco products. I must say in essence that I disagree with them to an extent and agree also to an extent. Now wait, before you start throwing things at me, hear me out.

I know many people who say they are Christians and smoke cigarettes. I actually was one of them two years ago. I knew I needed to quit, I felt guilty at times going out to smoke a cigarette rain or shine with a few others after our men's bible study meetings. My conscience was getting to me worse and worse as time went on, you know, that little voice in you that you don't audibly hear but instead feel, (kokopelli called it the Holy Spirit and I can agree with that) and made me feel guilty and wrong every time I lit a cigarette. It doesn't help when you have small kids you wish to never smoke, who you will always tell smoking is bad, yet you yourself do that exact thing. God was every day more and more laying cold hard conviction on my heart. I knew what it was and I knew what I was expected to do. Quiting smoking was one of the hardest trials in my life thus far that I have had to overcome, it was not easy, but I did it. I will not sit here and act all smug and self righteous about it, instead I want to glorify God by letting all know that on my own I could not have quit, only with the strength that God gave me did I overcome tobacco and it's horrible grip. It reminds of; Luke 1:37 "For nothing is impossible with God"

I had a good heart that was devoted to God while I smoked, I knew of the salvation that was mine in my faith in Christ. I truly believe that I was a saved Christian even when I smoked. I gave my life and heart to God, so it did not surprise me when I was convicted internally of things I did not need in my life. That conviction gets stronger in your walk with God daily, for he wants to conform you to the image of His son. Please don't get me wrong, don't feel you have to change before you become a Christian, take that step right now! Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me,all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Come to Him today no matter what your situation! God will change you, fight it all you want, but he will. If you have been a Christian for many years and still smoke or are an alcoholic or drug addict, I ask you, have you really given your life completely to God? He can and will help you overcome your trials and faults, but you got to give you life truly and fully to Him. The gospel of Christ is not just all fluffy and happy, it is a gospel of repentance and obedience. I once heard it said that it takes a real man (or woman) to be a True Christian. How true is that!? 1John 2:6 "Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus walked"

I don't remember Jesus physically hurting himself on purpose. That is what drugs and alcohol do to us, science has proven that. Cigarettes are linked to something like 400,000 deaths a year.(I don't think that touches on the harm that second hand smoke causes) We all know the bad effects of drunk driving, the "mean drunk"behavior that is violent, and the harmful physical effects alcohol causes. I know what you're thinking, well Jesus and His disciples drank wine. You are absolutely right! Can you find in the bible where Jesus, or the disciples, or the apostle Paul sat around drinking to get drunk? . Phillipians 4:8-9 "Finally bothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me-put into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

Romans 12:1 "Therefore I urge you, brothers, in view of Gods mercy,to offer your body as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this is your spiritual act of worship."

How can we do this if we are tied down by addictions that control our lives rather then God. Many people here in Ohio are constantly going outside of places to smoke, it controls where they go. The alcoholic can't wait to get his next drink to take the edge off. The drug addict can't wait to get his next fix, many times doing immoral or illegal things to obtain funds to fuel his addiction. That's not offering your body as holy to the Lord, rather it's destroying a temple of which His Spirit should be in. When things control what we do and take that control from God, it's also a form of idolatry. Scary stuff.

Ephesians 5:18"Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit."

The Greek word translated into witchcraft, magicians and magic spell is pharmakia. From this word comes the English words pharmacy and pharmaceutical.
Did you know that pagan cultures around Israel used drugs as part of their religious ceremonies? In those times a witch or a shaman would prepare drugs used to induce worshippers into an altered state of mind to allow their "gods" to take over their minds. So there is a rich connection between drug use and the occult which a person cannot ignore.

I have gone way more into this than I should have, I hope I have not bored you all. I will touch on drugs and alcohol more at a later time. Cigarettes are bad for us and those around us, so let us be strengthened by God to quit.

My prayer for all of you is that God helps you in whatever big or small addiction or trial you may be going through. May the God we serve shine His light into the dark places of our lives to reveal the dirt that needs cleaned. We are not perfect, but let us each day walk more like He did. Many prayers and blessings always.
C.

6 comments:

Shanna said...

Chris, your struggle to quit smoking also reminds me of one of my favorite verses ever, Philipians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me." Fills me with hope every time an impossible task is before me. I believe you are right, we can only accomplish those "impossible" things by the grace of God. Amen.

Cher said...

BRAVO for addressing this issue!

Yes, yes, and yes.

Know how I know? Because noone is perfect. And if we had to be perfect to pursue Christianity, none of us would.

And what a thing to miss!

I'm going to take a risk and address this further on my blog.

Kokopelli said...

Chros, if ever I've seen a man who should be a preacher - who'd make a good one - it's you! It would be wonderful spending time with you reflecting on the Bible and praying with you for understanding.

I remember reading several years ago, either Max Lucado or Gerald Mann, where they mentioned they like the "black and white" of one particular gospel, but also needed the others to get a little breathing room between absolute right and wrong. Its on the shelf somewhere and I will find it.

Our Lord gave us the animals, birds, fish, and plants for our use. The danger is that we abuse them. Of course, recreational chemistry isn't included here, but I'm pretty sure you know what I mean.

But, let's open the door a bit further. Your "Drugs and Addiction..." is a wonderful intoduction to understanding the old and new covenants. That seems to be where a lot of people think they have a free pass to deviate from obedience for a short time. Searching the Bible Gateway today I found something like 438 "shall" and 78 "shall not". I'm going to try and catalog these into a list. (That'll make Cheryl all warm and fuzzy.)

I like hearing your thoughts...please keep it up.

Kokopelli said...

It just occured to me that while Cheryl and I understand "...warm and fuzzy", it may be new to some of you. Many years ago, personnel management philosophy identified human reactions as either a "warm, fuzzy feeling" (good as in teddy bear) or a "cold, prickly feeling" (bad as in a cactus). I've probably butchered that, but you get my drift.

Cher said...

I, too, think I should clarify. Someone very dear to me was raised with religion being a very negative, scary thing (did I spell that right, L.S?) From a very young age, she was told if the sky got dark, God was going to do something or other bad(I can't remember) She was also told if she was bad God was going to get her (or something like that). This had a big impact on her. I don't think she grew up having a very good feeling about the Lord. Just a need to behave out of fear. THAT is what I find very sad. There's always a story behind what we do and say, I guess.

**Heidi** said...

Pray for me and my coca cola addiction, lol. There are so many different addictions in this day and age, drugs and alcohol are just the begining of a long list. We all have our weaknesses and are nobody is perfect. Thank goodness we have Jesus!