Thursday, September 3, 2009

Knowing

A minister I really enjoy has opened up all his sermons for free on his website, and I like to download them and listen to them at work. Well he mostly does in depth studies of the entire bible, and every once in a while he will tell of a story, sometimes they are true, sometimes they are just made to get you thinking. I would like to share one such story with you, which I know is different for what I usually do here, but I feel this has some relevance. This is not exactly how it was told word for word, for I am just going off of memory of when I heard it about a week ago.

There was a old retired preacher back in the day, that had a good friend who was "out of his league" so to speak in the social sense. One day his friend invited the preacher to a dinner party he was having that was quite an affair. Reluctantly the preacher decided to go. When he got there he was seated beside a very well known actor. The friend ask the actor to do them all a favor and recite something beautiful for them. The actor asked what they would like him to do and the preacher asked him if he knew the 23rd psalm. The actor said that as a matter of fact he did know that psalm. So the actor agreed under one condition, that the ol retired preacher recite it after him. The preacher agreed and the actor went on to recite the psalm in such a beautiful and dramatic way that the crowd at the dinner just applauded his performance of it when he was finished. The room fell quiet and the old preacher got up with his cracking and squeaky voice and humbly recited the 23rd psalm. When he was done there was not one dry eye in the house. The friend was struck, got up and said I think I get it, I get the difference in the reactions. For the actor knows the psalm but my friend here, he knows the Shepard.

I ask you, do you know the psalm that most do, or is it deeper for you? Do you know the Shepard? May He manifest His glory and light into all of your lives today, tomorrow, and for eternity. With love and prayers always.
Chris

1 comment:

Mandy said...

I love this! These are the kinds of posts that I can more easily relate to. I like your other posts too but sometimes I get lost.