Saturday, June 14, 2008

Divorce

First off, I'm sorry to all who may enjoy my blog, that I have not been posting in a while. Weather is nice and there is much to fix, paint and remodel around our house. K and I have also been doing some landscaping which has been a lot of work, yet very rewarding.

In society we see that divorce is very common even among the brethren. What does the Bible say of this topic? Divorce is permitted if it is done Biblically and there are three reasons, according to the Bible, that one may divorce. One of them is if either the man or woman dies. Romans 7:2 and 3. "For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband. So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man."

The second reason the Bible allows divorce is found in the words of Jesus in Matthew 5:31 and 32. "It was said, whoever sends his wife away, let him give her a certificate of divorce; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; And whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery."
So this passage talks of unfaithfulness. A person has biblical grounds for divorce if their spouse is unfaithful to them.

The third reason for a divorce is found in 1 Corinthians 7:15. "Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace." The whole of chapter 7 in 1 Corinthians is on marriage and gives good advice on issues pertaining to it. I urge all to read this entire chapter to understand verse 15 because it is too much to type out on this blog. Verse 15 that we just read tells us that if a brother or sister in Christ is with an unbeliever and he or she wants to leave, let them for you are not to stay with them quarreling and without peace over the one's faith and the other's lack of it. This usually takes place and addresses the issue of, if two people who are not believers come together, both not of the faith, and one becomes a Christian and the other can't or won't deal with that the Christian is to keep the peace and let them go granting them the divorce they seek. Now don't get me wrong, for the few verses before 15 says, if the unbeliever of the two will stay, then let it be and stay married. I am not writing this blog to show people how to get a divorce and please God. In Malachi 2:16 God says straight up, "I hate divorce." So in marriage we are to take every extreme step we can to stay together and keep the marriage.

The divorce rate in this country is way out of control and I would love to see people marry "the right person" and stay together "til death do them part." That's the key though, finding the "right person." So often we think we know what's best for us and exactly what we want, that we make the grave mistake of not allowing God to guide us, relying on our own wits. Whatever happened to being a Christian that prays on decisions in life to know and to be led in the right direction? I am a fortunate man for I have found the woman of my dreams who is perfect for me and I found her at one of the roughest points of my life. We have been together almost 13 years and happily married 8 of them this fall.

I will try to blog more often, at least once a week if I can and again do apologize to anyone who enjoys reading my blog that I have been away so long. Beautiful weather with much to do makes a mess of my computer time.

My prayer for all of those reading this is that you recognize the importance and holiness of marriage. So often we don't look at marriage as a holy commitment given to us by the Lord. If any are having marriage problems, I ask you to pray pray pray on it. Have the Father guide you before you make any hasty decisions. I also ask that we with great spouses and marriages give thanks to our God always for such a wonderful blessing.

With prayers and love always,

C.

9 comments:

Mandy said...

Yay! I'm happy you came back! I really learn a lot from your blog.
As far as divorce goes, I think people are just plain lazy. A marriage takes work and a lot of people aren't willing to put that amount of work into it. Jason and I don't always see eye to eye on everything but we put forth a good effort for compromise. If you don't than everyone is misserable and who wants that?

Kristy said...

You only blogged again because you were jealous Fannie left me a comment. LOL

Anonymous said...

LOL ok no "jealously" allowed - that would be another great topic for you by the way "do not covet"
great blog on Divorce - thanks for being a voice for God and standing up for what is right and not being afraid of what others might think.
Aunt Fannie

Cher said...

So glad to see you back! I respect your opinion and look forward to many more posts.

Cher said...

So glad to see you back! I respect your opinion and look forward to many more posts.

Cher said...

Hmmmmmmmmm. Not sure how that double post happened

Kokopelli said...

Its about time you got back!!!

I'll comment this weekend since I'm only as far home as Oklahome City tonight. Also, to save space I only brought an audio bible.

As for Cheryl's double post, I'm thinking she likes the sound of her own voice.

Kokopelli said...

It's obvious, Chros, I'm not gonna get my act together for a detailed comment about your divorce post, so let me offer this. Christianity Today magazine had an article some months back about divorce and integrating divorced couples back into church. What surprised me was that, according to this article, many churches look upon divorced couples with much the same attitude as gay couples (my words). I've got the article scanned in somewhere, and I'll send it to you.

Anonymous said...

Greetings i'm new on here, I hit upon this forum I have found It vastly accommodating and it's helped me out a great deal. I hope to give something back & guide other people like its helped me.

Thank You, See You Around