Monday, March 31, 2008

Find A Good Church

In a comment on the blog "Random thoughts of an idle mind", Mandy said she had several bad experiences with churches and that she does not have a church she attends. I understand completely Mandy! There are so many churches out there that can make a person feel down right uncomfortable, or even unwelcome. It truly is a tragedy that this is such common place in a lot of churches these days. What ever happened to everyone welcome, come as you are and leave changed. Right? That's how it should be, but all too often these days we find that how things should be, are not how they are.

I know a guy that I happen to work with, who I am also fond of and consider it a true pleasure when we get to work side by side, that does not go to church for that very reason. He has tried some in the past and was never impressed with the ones he attended. So whats he do? He actually got some friends of his together and started meeting at each others houses on Sundays for a little church session of their own. He has told me that they sing hymns and just pretty much have church like everyone else, just without the big fancy building and "church politics" so common these days. I also believe they meet one day during the week for a bible study. I must commend him for his perseverance in the worshipping of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ! He did not give up because he couldn't find a church he liked, instead he found a solution. At my other job I work among the Amish regularly and they do the same type of church, at their homes rather then a normal meeting place. Though with the Amish it is a bit more of a traditional style service and they meet every other week. Matthew 18:20 says"For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them" That's what it's about, having Him(Jesus Christ) in our midst as we come together to worship and praise Him in all things.

I started going to a church with a friend of mine I worked with some time ago. I loved the men's meetings/Bible study they had one evening a week and attended these for a quite some time without attending their Sunday services. Finally I decided I wanted to start going to the Sunday services and I gotta tell you, what in the world!? There was music so loud I couldn't hear myself think, good songs but way to loud. The craziness was somewhat indescribable. There were dancers who stood at the front, I'm gonna say about four to six of them and at least two had a flag of some sort they would wave around. The others just danced like in a trance or I don't know what. They would end up on stage or wherever the "Spirit" led them. I know David danced before the Lord but this is a bit different in my perspective. I gotta say right now before I go any further, I am not a "new age" worshipper if that's what you call this worship, I am strictly a Biblical worshipper. 1 Corinthian 14:40"But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way" We also see from the law of the old testament and all the restrictions that God is a God of order, not of chaos and disorder.

There were other things I saw that disturbed me and led me to my decision of not attending that church any longer. Well, once I stopped going there one of my best friends and many other good friends that go there thought it best to disassociate from me for good. They in essence "shunned" me because I wanted to find a church that my family and I could grow in the Lord and that was our style of worship. They spent an hour doing loud music and dancing, I am the type that would rather have that hour be a Sunday school setting where you dive into the word and learn God's truths. I did find a perfect church then for me and my family, though I must admit I spent many Sunday morning's "shopping" until I finally found the right one for us. The church we are at now is perfect for us and I must admit, I thank God for all the bad experiences I had because it makes me all that more grateful of the right church I have finally found. So please, to all of you out there, keep "shopping", the right church for you is out there and waiting to be found like a lost treasure. It mat not be easy but it's well worth it. Hebrews 10:24&25 "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage on another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching"

I pray for all reading this that if you don't have a "home" church that you do have a personal relationship with Jesus. I pray that God gives you that strength to take action and find a church that fits you, that preaches His word how it is written and changes not one word from it. May you all grow more and more each day in the Lord in His mercy and grace. With love prayers and good tidings always.
C.

P.S. To any "new age" worshipper out there that may read this, I mean no offense in your style of worship, it is just not for me. Call me old fashioned. I will say, as I would to any church goer out there, in any act you or your church does know why you do or don't do it scripturally. Know God's word and be informed of the things He wants and finds pleasing and the things He don't. Never do something just because your pastor says its right, especially if it "doesn't feel right to you". Be informed, and pray without ceasing as the scriptures tell us. (1 Thessalonians 5:17)

8 comments:

Kokopelli said...

To paraphrase Exodus 20:24, "Build me an altar and I will come." While the passage does specify "stone", I'm convinced that any group coming together for praise and worship is a church and has an altar by default. You're friend found his church!

Is "New Age" the same as "charasmatic"? No, I'm not baiting you because as you know I'm charasmatic, but folks do look at us oddly for "speaking in tongues." That's not one of my gifts, but I don't deny it either.

Finding the perfect church is difficult if those searching don't understand that some churchs come together for different purposes. Down here, many churchs are specialized in devoting themselves to efforts such as teaching, missionary, outreach, general worship, youth and so on. And, larger churches try to do it all, many succeeding quite well.

Some Sundays I forego church just to listen to the Word or sermons on CDs or listening to messages from my favorite evangilists over the internet. We do need to come together, but alone once in a can be good too.

Kristy said...

I'm with you..I really don't think it matters where someone goes as long as they're happy there. The "new age" church he's talking about what this very small unique church and it's fine, it just wasn't for us. But I think Chris writes blogs like this because he likes stalking Mandy! lol Poor girl's going to have to block him if he keeps blogging about her!

Mandy said...

I'm happy to give you something to write about. Let me tell you the most hurtful church experience came during our wedding ceramony. The pastor said that we were entering into a flawed marrage because we already had a son! What?

Kristy said...

He said that during your ceremony? What in the world???

chros said...

I,ve been to several churches that have "tongue speaking". My problem with it is where is the interpreter? The Apostle Paul tells us that if there is no interpreter to remain quiet speaking only to himself and God.(1 Corithians 14:28). He also says that he would rather speak five intelligle words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.(1 Corinthians 14:19) On the other hand he does say not to forbid speaking in tongues (1 Corinthians 14:39) I am with John MacArthur on the view of gifts which is a very reformed stance I must admit. I truly feel it is a more biblical stance and supported through out all the gospels and epistles. I do not say any of this to argue or act contentious towards anyone, I have studied and continue to study the gift of tongues, prophesy, laying on of hands, and the other gifts that God gives many that arent as highly esteemed but just as important in the church. The gift of leadership, evangelism,teaching etc... These are not talked about as much yet are just as crucial for the church to grow and persevere forward into the future until Christ comes again. I am saddened at your experience Mandy, the pastor that married you made you not want to go to church, the pastor that married me and Kristy made us both want to go to church. I pray you all draw closer and closer to God through His ultimate and Awesome Word no matter where you attend church. God bless you all!
C.

Kokopelli said...

Mandy, I'm speechless that happened to you and Jason at such a wonderful time. Its wrong that some men put themselves on pedastals like that.

Chros, we think alike on this as well. I'll be more specific later, but I gotta get to work.

Cher said...

I've been hoping to find a place where I can discuss Christianity. May I add you to my Favs?

chros said...

No problem Cheryl. I think it,s great when people want to discuss and learn more about our Lord Jesus Christ. Feel free to add me to your favorites and please comment whenever you would like.
With love and prayers always.
C.